Job Title: Ruby Developer
Employment Type: Permanent
Starting Salary: £35,000
The Difference You'll Make
In this exciting role, you will undertake key responsibilities, alongside and with the support other engineers, in:
- Analysing business requirements, provided in the form of Business Requirement Documents (BRD) and User Journeys/Flows, to extract technical requirements.
- Developing back-end and front-end requirements in Ruby on Rails and React/TypeScript, including tests.
The technologies used are Ruby on Rails, MySQL 8, GraphQL, ReactJS, TypeScript, CSS3, HTML5, deployed on k8s (AWS EKS). You are expected to be able to rapidly analyse requirements, develop and deliver functional back end (RoR) and front-end (ReactJS) code of excellent quality, and document your work and deliverables (e.g. for Review, QA, and UAT purposes). You need to be able to convert designs into code whilst ensuring interfaces are usable, responsive and abide by best design practices and accessibility considerations assessed during our Sprint Planning sessions, daily Stand-ups and feature-specific calls.
The Team You'll Join
The Vivup technology offering includes a fully-custom, responsive Web platform, a React Native mobile app, and a Recognition & Reward offering delivered through a responsive Web platform, as well as using native iOS and Android Apps. Our partners include Currys, John Lewis, WeGift, as well as Tusker, through custom integrations (API, SSO, etc). Our data environment is mature, primarily on Power BI, and with various internal and external data-sources.
The established and growing Technology & Data team of 15 includes functions such as Platforms, Mobile Apps, Data & Reporting, as well as Infrastructure. Resource is in-shore, near-shore and off-shore and includes architects, developers, QA testers and data analysts. Agile Scrum, Feature & Bug tracking systems, and communication tools (Teams) are used for planning, as well as daily videocalls. The stack comprises AWS (Kubernetes), Azure, MySQL, MS-SQL, Ruby on Rails, React, React Native, Swift, Kotlin, .net and HTML/JS/CSS amongst others. Our QA/Testing processes across our Web and mobile offering include manual (primarily) and automated (secondarily) testing with software such as Cypress, Postman, JMeter.
You'll have a varied and interesting role where some of your responsibilities will be:
- Develop high-quality medium-to-large features on application including back-end (Ruby on Rails) and front-end (React/TypeScript)
- Communicating status and progress of your work daily (stand-ups) and bi-weekly (sprint retrospectives and planning) with your colleagues and managers
- Analysing business requirements and translating them into development stories
- Building tests (TDD is not required, but strongly encouraged)
- Documenting your work and results – for QA department and external UAT
- Optimised code at the onset for scalability a key requirement
- Contribute to system specifications and technical implementation
- Adopt an agile software development process
- Code reviews
A bit about you
- Development experience using Ruby on Rails and are keen to learn more.
- Good database knowledge (MySQL) and DB/query optimisation
- Demonstrable experience with API integrations
- Experience in writing unit test cases: RSpec
- Understanding of object-oriented design and design patterns
- Understanding of source control systems like git (or mercurial)
- Experience working with cloud vendors like AWS or Azure
- A team player with a strong collaborative approach
- Strong analytical skills
- Great attention to detail and desire to make projects successful
- Strong communication skills (team playing)
- Excellent use of spoken and written English language
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Passionate about technology and the quality of the solutions
Please note you must have the right to work in the UK.
We encourage applicants from all sections of the community so that we can truly reflect the customers and clients we work with.